Sunday, January 25, 2009

Lecavalier Eh!?


So there are rumors floating around that the Oilers are trying to land Vincent Lecavalier. Quite frankly, I'd love to see him in an Oilers jersey, but at what cost? As far as I'm concerned there are very few non starters on the team, however if the asking price is 7 or 8 assets, that's something that could come back to haunt us something fierce.

These would be the players/assets that I'd be willing to offer...

Category 1 Top Tradeable Assets
Tom Gilbert
Denis Grebeshkov

Dustin Penner
Shawn Horcoff
Sam Gagner
Andrew Cogliano
Erik Cole

Category 2 Second Tier Tradeable Assets
1st Round Pick
Ladislav Smid
Jeff Petry
Jordan Eberle
Riley Nash

Category 3 Third Tier Tradeable Assets
2nd Round Pick
Robert Nilsson
Marc Pouliot
Kyle Brodziak
Rob Schremp
Gilbert Brule
Devan Dubnyk
Theo Peckham

Category 4 Fourth Tier Tradeable Assets
3rd-4th Round Pick
Slava Trukhno

Alex Plante

Bryan Lerg

Chris Vande Velde
Liam Reddox
Ryan Potulny

Cody Wild
Taylor Chorney
Zack Stortini
JF Jacques


Category 5 Fifth Tier Tradeable Assets
5th-7th Round Picks
Ryan O'Marra
Geoff Paukovich
Bryan Young

I've created those 5 categories because if we went with at least 1 asset from each Tier, the hilited players are the ones that I'd be willing to deal in a huge package deal.

If I had to select 7 assets of these players this would be what I'd like to see...

Shawn Horcoff or Erik Cole or Dustin Penner
Ladislav Smid or Denis Grebeshkov
Robert Nilsson or Rob Schremp
Liam Reddox
4th Round Pick
Ryan O'Marra
Conditional 1st Round Pick (if we make the Cup Finals in the next 3 years)

I would prefer to keep Penner and Schremp if I could, but a lot of it will come down to what Tampa covets and what we are willing to give up.

That would still be a solid return for Tampa as far as I'm concerned. The top 3 assets are NHL ready and the bottom 4 may or may not pan out. The reason that I bring up Cole is that he is a UFA, so if they want to shed salary for next year they could simply not resign him.

All that I know is that if we give up more than 2 players from the top Tier and add on a bunch of assets, we are setting ourselves up for a fall.

Oh yeah, and we had better make sure that he gets along with MacT, because the only thing that will be here longer than Lecavalier with his lonnnnng extension is MacT, Lowe, and roaches.

I guess Souray might have some competition with the ladies if we land Vinny L judging by the picture above.

No comments: